My go to Veal Paprikash is just 5 ingredients. It takes about 15 minutes to prepare, and it is delicious! You can make it from chicken, pork, beef or fish or even vegetables. The only variable is the time it takes to cook, and this depends on the main ingredient being used.
But if you would like to elevate the dish to perhaps a restaurant quality level, just add a mixture of a sour cream and a little flour at the last minute to create a velvety smooth, subtly flavored sauce. Perfect with either Fancy Veal Paprikash or Chicken Paprikash.
|Degree of Difficulty|
- 1-2 pounds white veal cut into 1" cubes
- 1-2 tbspn oil or lard
- 1/2 medium Spanish onion finely chopped
- 1 whole hot banana pepper or jalapeno pepper
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 tbspn Hungarian paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbspn sour cream
- 1 tbspn all-purpose flour
- 1-2 tbspn water to make a slurry
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Heat oil in medium sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add chopped onions and tomato and sauté until the onions and tomato become soft, 3-4 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and mix in paprika and add the whole pepper.
- Return to heat and add veal, stirring to combine with onions, tomato and paprika.
- Bring to a fast simmer and cook until the veal looses its pink color. Then turn the heat down to low, cover and cook until veal becomes tender, about 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- When veal is tender, reduce heat to keep warm. Combine 1 tablespoon of flour with a couple tablespoons of water to make a slurry. Add the sour cream and mix to combine well, making sure that the flour has been fully incorporated.
- Remove veal from heat, and add the sour cream mixture, stirring to combine.
- Return veal to medium low heat and simmer until the sauce thickens. do not allow the mixture to come to a boil as the sour cream will curdle.
- This dish can be served with either plain boiled potatoes or pasta.