Marseille Style Shrimp Stew can be made with any kind of seafood. The stew part is slightly sweet from the fennel and onion and slightly spicy from the chili sauce. Add heat to your liking. The rouille, tangy with lemon is an ideal side dish for this delicate dish.
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Hellman's mayonnaise
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp Hungarian paprika
- 1/4 tsp Asian chili sauce (hot)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp crumbled saffron
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium fennel bulb, cored and finely chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1-2 strips orange rind
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 8-10 baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 tsp saffron threads
- 3 large raw shrimp, cleaned, tails on/person
- 1 half baguette/ sliced and toasted
Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Combine 1 clove garlic, grated, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, 1/4 cup Hellman's mayonnaise, 1 tsp fresh lemon juice, 1/4 tsp Hungarian paprika 1/4 tsp Asian chili sauce (hot)1 tbsp olive oil and 1/4 tsp crumbled saffron. Stir to combine, reserve until ready to use with toasted baguette,
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a deep sided skillet over medium high heat until the oil starts to shimmer.
- Add 1/2 medium fennel bulb, cored and finely chopped and 1/2 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped and sauté over medium high heat, stirring until the vegetables have softened, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add 2 cloves garlic, grated, 1-2 strips orange rind and 1 pinch ground cloves and sauté until the garlic becomes fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 cup white wine, stir and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken stock, 8-10 baby plum tomatoes, halved, 1/4 tsp saffron threads, and 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil, season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the sauce is reduced by half.
- Add 3 large raw shrimp, cleaned, tails on/person, cover and cook over medium heat until the shrimp turn pink, about 5-6 minutes. Discard the orange rind.
- In the meantime, toast 2-3 slices of baguette/person.
- Ladle stew into deep bowls, spread the toasted baguette with rouille and serve.