This Spicy Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup lives up to it’s name. The cayenne pepper and black pepper add a good level of heat without overpowering the soup, they add just enough zip to make it interesting. This is not just another tomato soup!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium carrot finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic grated
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 roasted red bell peppers packed in water
- 1 can San Marzano tomatoes
- 1-2 tspn cayenne pepper
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- kosher salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper
- Gather all the ingredients before starting the recipe.
- Add olive oil to a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add chopped onions and carrots and stir to combine. Cover with a lid and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the garlic, tomato paste and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine and cook for about 1-2 minutes or until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add the thyme, roasted red pepper, tomatoes and chicken broth and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a blender and blend until the mixture is smooth, or use an immersion blender and blend until smooth.
- Top with lots of fresh black pepper, fresh thyme leaves and serve with a slice of toasted baguette.