The inspiration for my Vanilla Custard Cream Cake is from a cream cake chosen by Norwegians’ to have with their coffee at their local coffee and pastry shops. It has many iterations, but my version takes in all the best and it is both delicious and versatile. As I was making this cake, and only after I had already spread the meringue on the batter, did I realize that this cake would be equally delicious with a layer of apricot jam on the batter and then topped with the meringue. It is meant to be served with a generous dollop of whipped cream, but the cake could also be drizzled with chocolate, or you could substitute the custard for a chocolate cream filling.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup soft unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- vegetable spray
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds or chopped walnuts
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp Bird's Custard Powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Pre heat oven to 325 °F
- Spray 16 x 12 baking sheet with vegetable spray and then line with parchment paper making sure that the paper sticks to the tray. Allow a little overhang to allow you to lift the cake out when it has baked.
- Whisk together 1 1/4 cups flour and 1 1/2 tsp baking powder in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup soft unsalted butter and 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar to a medium stand mixer bowl and mix with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy.
- Add 4 large egg yolks, one at a time to the butter mixture and beat until each is fully incorporated before adding the next. Add 1/4 cup milk and 1 tsp vanilla until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture beating until well incorporated. The batter should be somewhat sticky.
- Transfer batter to prepared baking sheet, spreading the batter to the edges.
- In a clean mixing bowl combine 4 large egg whites and 1 cup sugar all at once and beat with the whisk attachment on medium high speed until the egg whites form stiff peaks.
- Spread the meringue over the batter, making little peaks with your spatula. Sprinkle 1/2 cup sliced almonds or chopped walnuts over the meringue.
- Transfer to a pre heated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the meringue is dry and lightly golden.
- While the cake is baking, mix together 1 1/2 tbsp sugar, 1 1/2 tbsp Bird's Custard Powder and 1 1/4 cup milk in a microwave proof measuring cup. Stir to combine.
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes stirring after the first 2 minutes. Watch the custard carefully as it may start to overflow as it thickens.
- Cover the custard with cling wrap touching the surface of the custard, and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Lift cake from pan using the parchment paper onto a clean surface.
- Cut the cake in half, lengthwise.
- Transfer one half to a long serving platter and spread the meringue layer with custard. Top custard with the second half of the cake.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours before serving. The cake will last chilled for 3-4 days.