Corned Beef Hash with a poached egg and Béarnaise Sauce is just plain decadent! You can make it without the egg and the sauce and it is a good dinner, but boy, can you elevate it for a brunch dish with these additions to the hash!
- 3/4 lb corned beef hash, cooked
- 2 medium white potatoes washed and cubed into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 large Spanish onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- carrots and onions from corned beef roast, optional
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp dried tarragon or 3 sprigs fresh tarragon chopped finely
- 1/2 shallot finely chopped
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Wash potatoes and cut into 1/2" dice, place in a microwave safe dish, rinse with cold water and cover with cling wrap. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, or just until the potatoes are firm tender.
- Peel and finely dice half of a large onion.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and sauté onions until they are translucent, 3-4 minutes, add any remaining carrots and onions from roast.
- Dice left over corned been into 1/2" dice, and add to onions in skillet.
- Finally, add cooked potatoes and heat over medium high heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Bring water to boil in a small sauce pan, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar, reduce to a simmer.
- Break one egg at a time into a small bowl.
- Slide one egg at a time into the simmering water.
- Gently Simmer for 4-5 minutes for a soft yolk.
- Peel and chop one shallot, add shallot and chopped tarragon or dried tarragon and 4-5 pepper corns to a small sauce pan with 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup white wine. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a fast simmer and cook until the liquid has been reduced to 1 tablespoon, remove from heat and bring to room temperature.
- Add 2 egg yolks to a deep container and add the cooled vinegar, shallot reduction.
- Place butter in a microwave safe container and heat on high for 1-2 minutes, until the butter has melted.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully pour hot butter into egg mixture, beating with blender all the time until the sauce becomes thick and fluffy.
- Spoon hash in the middle of a plate, top with a poached egg, and drizzle with the Béarnaise sauce.