This recipe, from our local grocery store flyer, was the inspiration for my version of cheddar soda bread scones. If you’re hungry for a savory and easy bake bite, this could be it!
- 3 oz aged cheddar cheese
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tspn baking powder
- 1/4 tspn baking soda
- 1/2 tspn kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup fried bacon bits
- 2 tspn caraway seeds
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk and 1 tablespoon white vinegar)
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Pre heat oven to 425°F
- Chop 3-4 slices of bacon into 1" dice and fry until crisp, about 4-5 minutes on medium high. Drain and reserve bacon bits.
- Grate cheese on a box shredder.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt caraway seeds.
- Work butter into flower with a fork until it resembles small crumbs.
- Stir in cheese and bacon bits and mix until well combined.
- Add butter milk and stir until dough forms.
- Spoon dough onto parchment lined baking sheet (each scoop about 1/3 cup).
- Bake in a pre heated oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until the tops of the scones are golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then serve with fresh butter.