I was making roasted broccoli and after I separated all the florets that I needed, I had all the thick stems left over. I didn’t want to throw the stems out, so I sliced them into 1″ rounds, sautéed them with a little onion, added chicken stock and made Cream of Broccoli Soup!
- stems from 3 bunches of broccoli
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 31 oz bottle of chicken broth
- kosher salt to taste
- 2 - 3 tbsp heavy cream
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe
- Finely chop one 1/2 onion and add to melted butter, stir to combine, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the onions are translucent
- Slice broccoli stems into 1" rounds and add to sautéed onions, stir to combine, cover and cook for a further 4-5 minutes
- Add a 31oz jar of chicken stock, bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low and simmer, covered, for 20-25 minutes, or until the broccoli s tender.
- Remove from heat when done and allow to cool slightly, then either move to a blender or use an immersion blender to puree the broccoli until the soup is velvety smooth,