This Grits and Cheddar Crusted Quiche is to die for! It is meant to be prepared over two days so it is defiantly a do ahead Brunch classic. The quiche is so creamy that you would think that you were eating a delectable cheesecake instead of a quiche. I served this dish as part of a brunch buffet for 15 guests and this was the first to disappear!
- 2 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup stone ground uncooked grits
- 1 tspn kosher salt
- 1 tspn black pepper
- 2 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated and divided
- 6 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 sliced scallions sliced
- 6 thick slices bacon chopped
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9" cake pan with removable sides with cooking spray.
- Heat butter and milk over medium high heat to a simmer, gradually stir in grits, salt and pepper and cook stirring constantly with a wire whisk until the grits are thick and cooked, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of the cheese, allow to stand for about 10 minutes and then stir in one whole egg.
- Spread mixture on the bottom of the cake pan previously sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for about 25 minutes or until set and golden, then remove from oven and spread 1 1/2 cups cheese over the grits while still hot and spread to the edges, allow to rest for 15 minutes, or set aside and refrigerate when cool and continue the day of serving.
- Preheat or reduce oven to 325°F
- If using bacon, fry until crisp, drain and set aside.
- Combine half and half, cream, sliced green onions, and 5 whole eggs, salt and pepper and pour over the grits, sprinkle chopped crisp bacon over the top.
- Place pan on a foil lined baking sheet in the pre heated oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until lightly browned and just set, allow to rest for 20 minutes
- Run a sharp knife around edges cut into 10 wedges using a serrated knife and remove sides.