These Irish Ham and Cheese pasties are a perfect addition to a table with an assortment of other small bites. I made the ‘pasties’ (an Irish term) and took them to two different family gatherings and they were a huge success. If you can, reheat them in a 350° F oven for 10 minutes before serving.
- 2 sheets puff pastry, defrosted
- flour for rolling pastry
- 2 cups finely diced smoked ham
- 2 cups Dubliner cheese, grated
- 1 egg for egg wash
Gather all ingredients before starting recipe
- Transfer frozen puff pastry to your refrigerator to defrost overnight.
- The next day, pre heat oven to 400 °F
- Working with one sheet of puff pastry at a time (leave the extra roll in the fridge until ready to use) remove wrapper and sprinkle flour over a board. Unfold/unroll puff pastry sprinkled with a bit more flour, and using a rolling pin, roll to a size a bit larger than the package size and roll into a square.Cut 9 squares, you may want to measure to get equally sized squares.
- Mix 1 egg for egg wash.
- Place a small amount of diced ham in the center of each square, than top each with grated cheese. Paint the corners of the pastry with egg wash and gather up the corners of the pastry to meet in the middle and squeeze to secure at the top. Continue until all squares are filled.
- Transfer squares to a parchment lined cookie sheet and place in the refrigerator.
- Unroll/unfold the second sheet of puff pastry, repeating the above steps. Wash the tops of the pastry with the egg wash.
- Place the pasties in a pre heated oven and bake on the middle rack for 20 minutes or until the pastie is puffed and golden.