A creamy and delicious pizza without the traditional mozzarella cheese! The caramelized onions are a nice addition, but the pizza could be made without. Great as a vegetarian option served as small bites at a party, as an appetizer before a meal or lunch served with a side salad.
- 1 piece Naan bread or flat bread
- 1 container cremini mushrooms or any fresh mushrooms found in your grocery store
- 1 tbsp olive oil split between the onion and the mushroom topping
- 1 whole Spanish onion finely sliced
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 tspn dried thyme or 3 fresh sprigs
- 1 tspn black pepper
- 1 tspn kosher salt
- 1 recipe Béchemel Sauce about 1 cup
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Heat half of the oil in a medium sized frying pan over medium heat. Add peeled and sliced Spanish onion, thyme, black pepper, a pinch of sugar and fry over medium high heat for about 15 minutes, or until the onions turn a golden color. Stir frequently to prevent the onions from burning,
- Heat the remainder of the oil in the same frying pan and return to medium high heat, add the mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms start to brown, 4-5 minutes.
- Spread the cooled béchamel on the naan or flat bread and then spread the caramelized onions on top of the béchamel sauce. Top the onions with the sautéed mushrooms.
- Pre-heat oven to 375º
- Place the prepared pizza on a rack over an aluminum foil lined sheet pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a minute or 2, then slice and serve.