Pigs-in-a-Blanket are a traditional party favorite. This recipe is a little different. It has a bit of sweet from the jam, spice from the sausage and of course the melted gooey cheese hot from the oven. But you can also make these ahead for a delicious small bite or tapas for your next party.
- 3 mild sausage fully cooked and cut into 2" slices
- 1 large egg
- 1 pkg frozen puff pastry defrosted according to directions
- 1/3 cup apple or apricot jam
- 1/3 cup manchego cheese grated
- more grated manchego cheese
- smoked paprika for sprinkling
Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Pre heat oven to 400 °F and set racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg with 1 tablespoon water. Prepare the ingredients for the filling and set aside.
- Roll the puff pastry sheet to a 9x12-inch rectangle on a lightly floured work surface. Cut the sheet lengthwise into eight 1 1/2-inch wide strips. Cut each strip crosswise into two pieces, about 4 1/2 inches long. You should have 16 pieces of pastry.
- Spread the center of each piece of pastry with 1/2 teaspoon apple butter or apricot jam and top with 1/2 teaspoon of grated Manchego cheese.
- Brush one narrow end of the pastry with egg wash, add a piece of sausage, and roll to enclose.
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheet, seam-side down. Brush the top of each pastry with egg wash and sprinkle with additional Manchego and smoked paprika (pimenton)
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Bake pastries until golden brown and puffed, 25 to 27 minutes or freeze and just bake when ready to serve.