I thought that this potato and fennel pizza would make a really different and delicious side dish when served with roast chicken or grilled fish. I paired it with pan seared chicken thighs and it was outstanding.
- 8-10 mini red skinned potatoes
- 1/2 bulb fennel sliced into 1/2" slices, fronds reserved
- drizzle of oil for searing fennel
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken stock for cooking fennel
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lemon zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 whole Naan bread
- Gather all ingredients before starting the recipe.
- Place potatoes in a medium sauce pan, rinse under cold water, then add water to cover by about 2". Bring to a boil, reduce to a fast simmer and cook until the potatoes can be pierced with the tip of a knife, about 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and let come to room temperature, then slice into 1/4" thick slices and transfer to a bowl.
- Make a marinade with lemon juice, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons of oil and kosher salt and black pepper. Add the marinade to cooled potatoes and toss to combine. Set aside until ready to make pizza.
- Drizzle olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat.
- Add sliced fennel and season with kosher salt and black pepper. Do not crowd, and sear until the fennel is nicely charred, then turn and cook the second side, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Add 1/4 cup wine to skillet, reduce heat, cover the pan and sauté until the fennel becomes soft when pierced with a fork, about 5-6 minutes.
Assembly and Baking
- Pre heat oven to 400°F.
- Top naan with potato mixture, it's ok to overlap the potatoes. Reserve the marinade from the potatoes.
- Top potatoes with braised fennel.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the crust is crisp.
- Chop reserved fennel fronds and sprinkle on top of the finished pizza.
- Drizzle with marinade from the postatoes, slice pizza and serve.