A true Hungarian staple, I make Ragu Soup a couple of times a month during the fall/winter. It is one of our lunch time favorites and any left overs are just that much better the next day.
- 4 thighs chicken thighs skinless boneless
- 1/2 medium onion very finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and diced into small dice
- 2 parsnips peeled and diced into small dice
- 1/2 bunch parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or shortening
- 1 tbsp chicken bouillon granules or vegeta stock powder
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3-4 Cups Water, chicken broth or bone broth
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil or shortening in a stock pot over medium high heat.
- Peel and chop 1/2 medium onion and add to stock pot, cover and sauté for 2-3 minutes until the onions become soft.
- Peel and chop carrots and parsnips to the same dice, chop parsley and add to onions.
- Toss to combine, cover with a lid and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Cut chicken thighs into strips.
- Add to vegetable mixture and stir to combine, then sprinkle with a tablespoonful of flour, stir again to coat the vegetables and chicken.
- Add 2 bottles or cartons of chicken bone broth, or just chicken broth, along with chicken bouillon and stir. Bring the soup to a boil, then turn it down to medium low and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the chicken and the vegetables are cooked.
Omit the chicken and substitute chicken stock with vegetable stock for a satisfying delicious vegetarian option.