This sandwich is inspired by the ‘Rare Dunkin’ sandwich served at Hy’s Restaurant in Toronto. Hy’s has been serving this sandwich for at least 25 years, with little modification. The sandwich is always served with hot crispy fries and the beef is always medium rare. The only other sides are the dipping sauce and creamed horseradish. I like it so much that I have recreated it with left over prime rib and Au Jus that I make each time we have these sandwiches.
- 2 cups finely shaved rare prime rib
- 1 whole baguette toasted in an oven for 15 minutes at 350°, cut in half
- 1 recipe Au Jus served in individual bowls
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Slice roast beef into thin slices.
- Toast baguette in a 350° F oven for 15 minutes.
- Cut baguette in half and layer sliced roast beef on one half. Top with toasted baguette half and serve with warm au jus.