I used just three ingredients and made one of the best red cabbage side dishes I have ever tasted. I am accustomed to making red cabbage with caraway seeds, sugar and wine vinegar, but this recipe is a really nice switch and is absolutely delicious!
- 2 whole Granny Smith apples
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 head medium sized red cabbage thinly sliced
- Gather all ingredients before starting the recipe.
- Thinly slice 1/3 head cabbage.
- Peel and thinly slice apples.
- Peel and thinly slice onions.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat.
- Add sliced onions and cook until the onions become soft and start to brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add sliced apples, toss to combine and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Then add 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and season with kosher salt and black pepper, toss to combine.
- Add sliced cabbage in handfuls and cook over medium heat, covered, turning periodically and adding more cabbage with each toss and with each turn.
- When all the cabbage has been added, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, give it one more toss and cover the cabbage and reduce heat to medium low. Cook for about an hour to an hour and a half. The cabbage should still hold its shape, but be tender when it's done.