This very classy Mille-Feuille (one thousand layers) dessert is surprisingly easy to make. The pastry cream is probably the most involved, although not difficult. The puff pastry bakes in no time and the assembly of the dessert is fun. Wonderful for a special dinner.
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 tspn flour for rolling puff patry
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp sugar for
- powdered sugar for sifting on top pastry
- 2 6 oz containers of fresh raspberries
- 1 recipe Pastry Cream
- Gather ingredients before starting the recipe.
- Pre heat oven to 400°F.
- Defrost one sheet of puff pastry according to package directions.
- Dust board with flour and roll out puff pastry to about an 11 x 16 rectangle.
- Cut straight edged 2 1/2" x 5" rectangles from the sheet, you should get about 12 slices in total.
- Transfer slices to a parchment lined cookie sheet and refrigerate for five minutes.
- Remove pastry from refrigerator and brush each pastry with melted butter and then sprinkle with sugar.
- Cover pastry slices with a second sheet of parchment paper and top with a second cookie sheet the same size as the first.
- Bake in pre heated oven for 10-15 minutes. Check after the first 10 minutes, the pastry should be lightly golden.
- When done, remove second cookie sheet and parchment and allow to cool.
- You will need 3 pastry rectangles per serving.
- Dot the first pastry layer with 3-4 teaspoons pastry cream and spread out almost to the edges.
- Top cream with raspberries, maybe 6 per pastry sheet, just enough to make 2 rows sitting in the cream.
- Top this layer with another pastry slice and repeat the cream and another 6 raspberries.
- Finally top with the 3rd pastry sheet.
- Dust the top sheet of pastry with powdered sugar and serve.