This Mornay Sauce recipe is quick, easy and delicious. It’s a great substitute for hollandaise sauce.
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp white pepper ground
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- kosher salt to taste
Gather all ingredients before starting the recipe.
- Melt 1 tbsp unsalted butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp all-purpose flour and stir to combine, cook until the roux starts to bubble.
- Add 1 cup milk and stir with a wire whisk as you are adding in the milk. Once it is combined, bring the sauce to a fast simmer and continue to stir with a wooden spoon until the sauce becomes thick.
- Grate 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese and add to the sauce with 1 tbsp Dijon mustard and 1 tsp white pepper. Stir to combine.