This Vietnamese inspired sauce combines the French, Indian and Chinese elements often found in this cuisine. This is a fine sauce served with Wild Mushroom Ravioli, but also can be used as a dipping sauce with seared scallops or grilled fish.
|Degree of Difficulty|
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tbspn balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbspn soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp Asian chili sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1-2 tbspn corn starch to make a slurry to thicken sauce
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Combine red wine, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, Asian chili sauce in a medium sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook until reduced by half, about 30 minutes.
- Add reserved mushroom juice (if serving with wild mushrooms) and chicken stock and reduce to 3/4 of a cup, another 30 minutes. Check for seasoning.
- Combine 1 -2 tablespoons of corn starch with 3-4 tablespoons of water and stir to combine into a slurry. Bring the sauce to a fast simmer and add some of the slurry a little at a time, stirring constantly, until the sauce coats the back of a spoon.