The recipe for this Caesar Salad Dressing started from a printed recipe from ‘Chez Bob’ which my sister-in-law emailed to me. The recipe sheet did not have an address or a phone number, and the paper was yellowed with age and stained with drops of Worcestershire Sauce. This was the beginning of a quest for the perfect (all according to your own taste) Caesar Salad Dressing, and I think I have it!
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic clove peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 lemon juice of 1 lemon
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup oil (olive oil or canola oil)
- 1 head medium-large head of romaine lettuce
- 10-12 slices parmigiano reggiano cheese very thinly sliced, or 1/3 cup grated
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Combine all ingredients except cheese, in a jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Zest the rind of the lemon that will be used in the dressing and set aside
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon that was zested into the jar
- Grate 1 clove of garlic over the jar
- Slice cheese thinly and set aside
- Cut off the core off two heads of Romaine and separate the leaves.
- Use about half of the dressing for 2 heads of Romaine and toss Romaine with dressing until well coated. Place the Romaine leaves on long individual serving platters and top with thinly sliced parmigiano reggiano and sprinkle with grated lemon rind.