This is a really tasty bite! Pork Belly Pinchos are a favorite, they are salty, sweet, sticky and delicious, all at the same time.
Tip : Select only center cut and ideally look for a cut that has at least 50% meat for an ideal small bite.
- 1 1/2 lb pork belly
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup bourbon or whiskey
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 star anise or 3-4 whole cloves (optional)
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Pre heat oven to 300°
- Season pork belly with kosher salt and black pepper. Pour 1/2 cup of bourbon and a star anise or cloves into a shallow roasting tin, cover tightly with aluminum foil, and bake in a 300° for 3 hours. Remove pork belly from oven, allow to cool for at least on hour. You can chill the pork for up to 2 days at this point.
- Pre Heat oven to 400°
- Remove pork from the tin and discard any of the pan juices. Using a small sharp knife, remove the rind from the meat, leaving a thin layer of fat.
- Cut the meat into 3/4" cubes and return to the tin. Roast for 20-30 minutes or until crisp and sizzling, turning regularly.
- Combine ketchup, soy sauce, honey and the remaining 1/2 cup of bourbon in a small sauce pan. Cook over medium high heat for about 5 minutes or until thick and syrupy, remove from heat and set aside until ready to use.
- Pour the sauce over the pork and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until sizzling and sticky.
- Serve using sandwich picks,