Cauliflower Purée is a beautiful side dish for both elegant and everyday dinners. It’s a wonderful substitute for mashed potatoes as it’s brilliant white and reheats beautifully, it’s also healthy, so a bonus! Try it instead of mashed potatoes one night.
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small head cauliflower broken into florets
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt to taste
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Cut cauliflower into florets.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in deep skillet over medium high heat and add florets, toss in butter and sauté for 3-4 minutes making sure that the florets do not brown.
- Add enough (or all) of the one cup milk so that the liquid does not cover the cauliflower, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is soft, but not mushy. Then add 1/2 cup heavy cream and return to a boil, cook for a further 2-5 minutes.
- Turn the contents of the pan into a blender and blend while still hot until the mixture becomes a fine purée. Pour into a container and reserve until ready to use.