The recipe for this Charred Asparagus Salad started with a really appetizing photo, and then I added. I thought it would be better with some thinly shaved fennel, Granny Smith apple slivers and red and green leaf Romaine lettuce. Then, since I did not have Greek yogurt, I substituted rich sour cream, a bit of heavy cream, etc. etc… The salad is now mine, lovely!
- 1/2 bunch green asparagus
- drizzle of olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 small head red leaf lettuce
- 1/2 small head green leaf lettuce
- 1/4 heart of fennel thinly sliced on a mandolin (optional)
- 1/2 whole Granny Smith apple halved, cored and thinly sliced
- kosher alt and black pepper to taste
- 2 large tablespoons of rich (45%) sour cream
- 2 tbsp heavy (whipping) cream
- 1 generous pinch kosher salt
- 1 generous pinch of ground black pepper
- 1/2 lemon juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 whole eggs medium hard boiled and peeled
- Gather all ingredients before you start your recipe.
- Fill a small sauce pan nearly full of water, add 3-4 eggs in their shell, cold from the fridge, and bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to a hard simmer and cook for 6 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and cover with cold water. Change water when it becomes warm, 1-2 minutes, and cover again with cold water. Peel, and set aside until ready to add to salad.
- Prepare salad greens and thinly slice fennel and Granny Smith apple. Toss with kosher salt and return to the refrigerator until ready to mix.
- Mix dressing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside until ready to dress the salad.
- Pre heat oven to broil.
- Cut the last 1 to 1 1/2" off the bottom of the asparagus, line a flat sheet with non stick aluminum foil. Spread the asparagus on the foil, drizzle with olive oil and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place on the top rack of your oven, and roast for 4-5 minutes, or until the stalks begin to char.
- Place a small amount of dressing along the inside of the bowl and toss with the salad greens. Do not drench the greens, just coat lightly. Top with roasted asparagus and finally, eggs cut in half. Drizzle with juice of a half a lemon and serve.