You might say, why make this when I can buy any one one of probably 15 kinds of red sauces in the store? Well, the only reason I can offer is that there is a sense of satisfaction when you create something from scratch. Even the lowly, but versatile Homemade Red Sauce. Have I tempted you?
|Degree of Difficulty|
- 1 tbspn olive oil
- 1/2 medium sweet onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and grated
- 2 large pinches of dried basil
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 15-oz can chopped tomato
- 1 8-oz can tomato sauce or 3/4 cup passata
- 2-3 tbspn tomato paste
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Gather all ingredients before staring recipe.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat.
- Peel and finely chop 1/2 of a sweet onion and sauté until the onions are translucent, about 5-6 minutes, then add grated garlic and stir to combine.
- Add crumbled dried basil and oregano, stir to combine.
- Add one can of chopped tomato, the tomato sauce, and then the tomato paste.
- Stir all to combine, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes.