This is the Chinese version of fried shrimp, or if you can find it, King Prawns. The recipe is traditional, in both ingredients and preparation, and takes only minutes to make. Well worth the little effort as it is delicious with a side of white rice or Stir Fried Asparagus with Shitake Mushrooms.
|Degree of Difficulty|
- 6 uncooked prawn or six (25 count) large shrimp
- vegetable spray for cooking
- 1 tspn toasted sesame oil
- 2 tspn soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 4 tbspn mirin or Shaoxing wine
- 1/2 tspn corn starch
- 2 tspn brown sugar
- 2 spring onions finely sliced
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Mix prawn seasoning in a bowl and pour half into a plastic resealable bag, add prawns in their shells and refrigerate for 5 minutes. Reserve balance of marinade.
- Insert a wooden skewer in each shrimp to prevent the the shrimp from curling while cooking.
- Add prawns or shrimp, with shells on, and cook on medium high for 1-2 minutes or until shells turn pink. Remove prawns to a plate.
- Return pan to heat, add sesame seed oil and return the prawns to the pan and add the remaining prawn marinade. Cook for another 1-2 minutes or until the marinade thickens.
- Serve with sliced scallions sprinkled on top.