I am not one to seek out ‘fish’ recipes as I always think that I don’t do justice to them. But there are exceptions! I saw the preparation of this dish on ‘Food Paradise’ which to my knowledge, does not post recipes, so I cobbled this together from the ingredients that the chef listed and used, and I love it! We ate it two days in a row, and I still have another portion that I have frozen. Watch for this recipe re-incarnated as a voile-a-vent!
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 large sweet onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves fresh garlic minced grated
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1-2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp Old Bay seasoning (optional)
- 3-4 medium Yukon gold potatoes cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 8 oz clam juice
- 1 whole lemon juiced
- 3-4 sprigs fresh tarragon chopped
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 1 can clams
- 1 cup lump crab meat
- 4-5 oz skinless salmon filet
- 4-5 oz cod filet
- frozen French fries for two
- Gather all ingredients before starting the recipe.
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add chopped onions and grated garlic and cover with a lid. Cook for 5-6 minutes of until the onions are soft. Do not brown.
- Add 2 tablespoons of flour and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then add clam juice, stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
- Add cream, milk, lemon juice, chopped thyme and chopped tarragon and season with kosher salt and Old Bay seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Add diced potatoes and increase heat to bring to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are cooked. Stir periodically and scrape up the bits from the bottom to prevent clumping.
- When the potatoes have cooked, pre heat oven to 425°
- Cut cod and salmon into bite sized pieces and season fish and crab and clam with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Increase heat under chowder to medium and add salmon, cod, clams and lump crab meat. Cook for 7 minutes, then reduce heat to keep the chowder warm.
- Spread enough French fries for 2 on a cookie sheet lined with non-stick aluminum foil and transfer to a pre heated oven and cook according to package directions.
- Season French fries on cookie sheet when done.
- Pile fries into a mug or deep bowl and top with the chowder.