This is my go to all purpose every occasion stuffing for chicken and turkey. If you are stuffing the turkey, place the stuffing under the the breast skin of the turkey instead of the cavity. This way the stuffing does not get soggy during roasting. Or, bake the stuffing in a separate loaf pan and serve on the side.
- 2 hard rolls or 3 slices white bread
- 1/2 lb sliced mushrooms
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp Sage Leaves or thyme, either finely chopped, or dried
- 1 tspn ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tspn kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp oil
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Cut bread into 1" cubes and set aside.
- Chop peeled onion, celery, parsley and slice mushrooms and set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium high heat and add onion and celery and sauté until the onion becomes translucent, about 5-8 minutes, then add mushrooms, salt, pepper and sage or thyme and chopped parsley. Combine, allowing the mushrooms to let out liquid and begin to soften.
- Add bread cubes and combine well and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Check for seasoning, the stuffing should be highly seasoned.
- Remove from heat and allow to come to room temperature.
- Beat one whole egg with a fork until slightly frothy and mix well with cooled stuffing. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes or until the bread has absorbed the egg.
- Pre heat oven to 350°
- Spray a loaf pan with vegetable spray and transfer stuffing to pan.
- Bake stuffing in a pre heated oven for 25 - 30 minutes or until the top is golden and the stuffing has set.