This Apple Strudel is quick to make, pretty, and delicious and the dessert really requires no baking expertise! I can make this strudel without a recipe, so that says something. Your friends and family will love it.
Tip : Just for fun, sprinkle a handful of white raisins or chopped walnuts, or both, on top of the apple filling before rolling up and baking,
- 3 apple Granny Smith apples peeled
- 3 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tspn cinnamon
- 3 sheets filo pastry sheets defrosted according to package directions (also known as Filo)
- 1 tbsp melted butter for brushing the pastry (or vegetable spray)
- 1-2 tbsp dry bread crumbs or panko
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Pre heat oven to 375F°
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel apples and grate on either a box grater or mandolin.
- Layer 3 sheets of filo pastry, brushing each sheet with melted butter or spraying with vegetable spray, before placing the next layer on top of the previous layer.
- Sprinkle dry bread crumbs or panko on about 1/3 of the final sheet.
- Squeeze the juice from a handful of apples then spread the apples on about 1/3 of the filo sheet on top of the bread crumbs. Leave about an inch border on either side of the apple filling. Continue spreading the grated apples across the filo, mounding the apples to about a 2" height.
- Sprinkle the apples with cinnamon and sugar.
- Fold the edges toward the center, and using the parchment paper to help and roll away from you.
- Place the roll, seam side down on the parchment paper.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until golden, in a 375°F degree oven.