The very best Croque-Monsieur I have ever had was in a small restaurant in the Colonnade in Toronto many years ago. I can’t recall the restaurant name, but it was right at the top of a steep escalator which would drop you nearly at the door. I think that the most popular dish on their menu was Croque-Monsieur. When I see Croque-Monsieur I always think of this restaurant. This recipe is close to perfection but I may tweak it some more over time to reach perfection!
- 1 demi baguette sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 1/2 cups Béchamel Sauce
- 8-10 slices cooked ham thickly sliced (about 1/3")
- 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- Gather all ingredients before starting the recipe.
- Pre heat oven to 425°F
- Prepare Béchamel Sauce.
- Spread Béchamel sauce on each piece of bread, right to the edges of the bread.
- Place bread on a parchment lined cookie sheet, Béchamel side up.
- Top each piece with ham and cheese.
- Sprinkle each piece of bread with herb mixture (optional)
- Bake in a pre-heated oven until the cheese is brown and bubbling about 25 minutes.