Just some Italian sausages, peppers, onions and pizza sauce. Yes, pizza sauce, so good! It is super easy and is a totally satisfying week-night dinner.
Tip : I served this dish with some left over white rice once. Actually, you could just serve with a few slices of crunchy bread and skip the side all together.
- 2-3 whole Italian sausages
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion peeled and sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 14 oz jar of pizza sauce
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- Gather all ingredients before starting the recipe.
- Sear sausages in a large skillet (no oil required for this) until the sausages are browned on both sides and are firm. The sausages do not need to cook through at this point. Remove sausages to a board until they are cool enough to handle to cut into 1/2" slices.
- While the sausages are cooling, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the same pan and add the sliced onion. Stir to combine, season with kosher salt. Add sliced sausages, oregano and chili powder, stir again to combine.
- Cook for about 5-6 minutes, or until the onions begin to get soft and the sausages are getting brown.
- Add sliced peppers and stir to combine.
- Add pizza sauce, stir and then reduce heat to medium and simmer with the lid on for about 10 minutes.