°The roasting time for a turkey depends on the size of the turkey. Most turkeys weigh a minimum of 8 pounds and go to 20 or more pounds. I don’t have a formula for time by pound but I generally allow at least 3 hours for an 8-10 pound turkey. Everyone has their grandmother’s secret for roasting the perfect turkey, mine is salting the turkey the night before and then roasting at 325° until the skin becomes the perfect color.
- 8-10 lb turkey defrosted
- 2-3 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 recipe Bread Stuffing for Turkey and Chicken
- Salt the turkey, inside and out on all surfaces. You should use enough salt so that you can see the salt on the surface, be generous,
- Place the turkey in a roasting pan and cover with cling wrap and place the turkey in your fridge over night.
- Pre heat oven to 325°
- If stuffing, prepare you stuffing and stuff the cavity at the neck and under the breast of the turkey.
- Stuff the cavity and then secure the skin with a couple of wooden skewers.
- Turn the turkey breast side up in the roasting pan.
- If you are not stuffing the turkey, just place breast side up.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to the roasting pan or enough water to cover the bottom of the pan and to come up about a half inch along the side of the pan. Add one banana pepper and one tomato cut in half.
- Place the turkey on the middle rack of your oven and roast for 2-3 hours, or until the skin becomes a dark golden color. If the pan looks dry, add a little water to cover the bottom of the pan, same as before.