A delicious weeknight meal, a little different, full of flavor from Spain. It really comes together very quickly and is ideal either for family or a casual meal with friends.
Tip : It is best to make this dish over medium high to high heat from start to finish. All the ingredients will cook perfectly. This dish is best served immediately after the wine has reduced by half.
- 2 whole Italian sausage uncooked
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 10-12 white button mushrooms sliced
- 5-6 cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium Spanish onion thickly sliced
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1-2 tspn dry thyme or 4-5 sprigs fresh
- 2 tbpn pine nuts
- 2-3 tbsp raisins
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup madeira wine
- 1 tspn kosher salt or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat until very hot, but not smoking.
- Slice onions and mushrooms. Slice sausages into 2" pieces.
- Add Sausage to hot oil, cut side down and cook until brown on one side, then turn and brown the second side, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Add sliced onions to browned sausage.
- Sauté onions with sausage until the onions begin to caramelize.
- Add mushrooms and cook until they begin to turn golden, about 4-5 minutes stirring constantly. Then add bay leaf, thyme, pine nuts and raisins and stir to combine.
- When everything is sizzling, pour in madeira wine and bring to a boil. Cook until the wine is reduced by half, about 3-4 minutes, then serve.
- Serve with some crusty bread or creamy polenta.