This recipe for Homemade Spaetzle takes a bit of effort, but there are times when this is exactly the right side dish to go with a dish like Tarragon Chicken in White Wine and Tomato, Blanquette de Veau, or the Hungarian favorite, Chicken Paprikash. Try it instead of pasta when you have time and inspiration.
|Degree of Difficulty|
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup water
- Bring water to boil in a medium sauce pan.
- Combine 1 cup flour, salt, the egg and stir to combine.
- Add water, a little at a time, and continue to stir until the mixture is smooth and has a stretchy consistency. This should take about 4-5 minutes of steady beating. The dough should be thicker than pancake batter and should stretch when lifted with a spoon.
- Run a cutting board under water to wet the surface, then spoon a large dollop of dough onto the board.
- Cut a ribbon about an 1" thick from the dollop, and using a kitchen knife, cut and slide 1/4" pieces into the boiling water.
- The dumplings will rise to the surface when they are cooked.
- Strain and serve as a side dish.