This recipe for Sponge Cake is arguably the simplest of all cake recipes. The recipe is 6 eggs, 6 tablespoons of flour and 6 tablespoons of sugar.
|Degree of Difficulty|
- 6 eggs separated
- 6 tbspn sugar
- 6 tbspn all-purpose flour
- 1 tspn vanilla
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Pre heat oven to 350ºF.
- Line a 10x16 jelly-roll pan (or larger for a thinner cake) with parchment paper.
- Separate eggs from yolks into two separate bowls.
- Beat egg yolks, with a hand or stand mixer, adding sugar a tablespoonful at a time, until the egg/sugar mixture forms a ribbon and is a light yellow in color.
- Continue beating, add vanilla and then the flour, one tablespoon full at a time.
- Whip egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff.
- Gradually blend the egg yolk mixture and whipped egg whites together with the mixer set to the lowest speed, or blend using a spatula. Do not over work.
- Spread mixture on a parchment lined baking pan and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the center bounces back when touched. It should be a light golden color.
- If making a roll cake, cool baked cake until it is cool enough to handle (2-3 minutes) and then roll the cake, parchment paper and all, into a roll, making sure that the seam is on the underside.
- When the cake has fully cooled, unroll the cake and carefully remove paper from cake.
- Spread your choice of mocha or French Chocolate cream over the cake, re-roll, and then coat the rolled cake with the remainder of the butter cream.
- Decorate outside of cake and place in the freezer until ready to serve.