This authentic French Canadian Meat Pie is a very easy recipe, although you have to give yourself time as the filling needs to cool and then the pie has to be baked for 45 minutes.
If you think ahead, you could make the filling the day before, leave it in your refrigerator overnight, then just bake the next day. It’s great with a salad, and it is good year around, although you may think of it more in the fall and winter.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 small Spanish onion finely chopped
- 1 small white potato grated
- 1-2 garlic cloves grated
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pastry for double pie crust
- 1 egg to brush the pastry dough
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Heat medium skillet over medium high heat, add ground pork and chopped onion and break up pork to combine with onions.
- Grate one small potato and add to skillet.
- Grate 2 garlic cloves to skillet mixture and combine with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add salt, ground cloves, cinnamon, celery salt and nutmeg, and stir to combine, then add 1/2 cup water, bring the mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes without a lid. When time is up, remove skillet from heat and allow the mixture to come to room temperature, or place in the fridge overnight to bake the next day.
- Pre heat oven to 400°F.
- Remove pie shells from package and allow to come to room temperature, fill one pie shell with the reserved filling.
- Loosen the unused pie shell edge from the tin, invert over the filling and cut a vent hole in the center. Press down the edges to form a border.
- Mix the egg yolks and whites with a fork and then paint the pie, brushing the top and the edges.
- Place in pre heated 400°F oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.