This recipe for Tangerine Bavarian is sublime! It is velvety smooth, light and full of tangerine flavor. The candied tangerine peel is just the right texture and the tangerine caramel sauce, just the right amount of sweet. It is dessert that you should make ahead as it needs 4 hours or more to set, so it is perfect for entertaining.
|Degree of Difficulty|
- 6 zest and juice of tangerines
- 1 envelope 1/4 oz unflavored gelatine
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbspn fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 1 recipe Tangerine Caramel Sauce
- 1 recipe Candied Tangerine Peel
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Open the inside of the cake form pan and invert bottom, then reattach the side. This will make the Bavarian easier to remove
- Grate zest from 1 tangerine to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Peel the remaining tangerines with a potato peeler, taking some of the pith and reserve.
- Squeeze juice from tangerines to make 1 1/4 cup of juice. Peel and juice additional tangerines to make up the measurement.
- Pour juice into a small bowl and sprinkle with gelatin and allow to sit, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk together egg yolks, sugar and lemon juice in a heavy bottomed saucepan and cook over medium low heat, whisking constantly (you can use a hand mixer for this portion) until the mixture just comes to a simmer (do not let it boil).
- Remove from heat, then whisk in gelatin mixture until completely dissolved.
- Transfer mixture to a metal mixing bowl and chill in an ice bath, stirring frequently, until the mixture has thickened to a consistency of lightly beaten eggs whites.
- Beat heavy cream until it forms soft peaks.
- Stir 1/3 of whipped cream into egg yolk mixture to lighten, then fold in remaining whipped cream.
- Transfer mixture into the cake pan and chill until set, about 4 hours and up to 24 hours. To serve, remove sides of the cake pan and place the Bavarian cream on a serving platter.