Paprikash is my go to favorite comfort food . It is easy to make from just 5 ingredients, it takes about 15 minutes to prepare and it is delicious! You can make it from chicken, veal, pork, beef or fish or even vegetables. The only variable is the time it takes to cook, and this depends on the main ingredient being used. The recipe remains the same. Paprikash is a staple in Hungarian cuisine as much as tomato sauce is a staple in Italian cuisine.
- 1-2 pounds white veal, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 tbsp oil or lard
- 1/2 medium Spanish onion finely chopped
- 1 whole hot banana pepper or jalapeno pepper
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 tbsp Hungarian paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Heat oil in medium sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add chopped onions and tomato and sauté until the onions and tomato becomes soft, 3-4 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and mix in paprika and add the whole pepper.
- Return to heat and add veal, stirring to combine with onions, tomato and paprika.
- Brink to a fast simmer and cook until the veal looses it's pink color. Then, turn the heat down to low, cover and cook until the veal becomes tender, about 1 hour.
- This dish can be served with either plain boiled potatoes or pasta.