This is a cool and delicious salad of avocado, limes, cilantro and rice. The salad makes an excellent side dish for cold poached salmon or shrimp or roasted chicken. A wonderful summertime dinner or lunch dish.
- 1 avocado halved and pitted
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 1 tspn cumin ground
- 1/2 tspn Asian chili sauce (hot) or Franks Red Hot Sauce
- olive oil to drizzle on salad
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat and add the rice when the butter has melted. Stir the rice to make sure that it is evenly coated with the butter.
- Add twice as much water as the rice in the pan, raise the heat to bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Cover the sauce pan and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the rice kernels can be easily separated using the tines of a fork. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Cut avocado in two. Remove the pit and dice the avocado halves while still in their skin. Turn the skin inside out and scrape out the avocado into a medium sized bowl.
- Combine avocado with the zest and juice of one lime. Add cumin, grated garlic, Asian chili sauce, salt and pepper, and the chopped cilantro and a drizzle of olive oil. Stir to combine.
- Add the room temperature rice to the avocado mixture and mix until the rice is well coated.