The Beef Vegetable Soup in this recipe is really for a beef consommé but I turn it into a really hearty beef vegetable soup. I serve it with angel hair pasta and the vegetables that I cooked with the beef. For me this is soup!
- 1 beef shank
- 5-10 whole black pepper corns
- 1 whole parsnip peeled and cut in thirds
- 1 whole carrot peeled and cut in thirds
- 1 stalk celery cut in thirds
- 1 bunch fresh parsley tied with string
- 1/2 onion peeled and cut in half
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 32 oz container beef broth
- 2-3 nests angel hair (capellini) uncooked, broken into 2 in lengths
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Place beef shank in the bottom of a soup pot, top with celery, sliced carrot, parsnip, bunch of parsley, onion, pepper corns, garlic cloves.
- Cover with beef stock and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 2 hours.
- When the soup is done and the beef shank is tender, remove the beef shank and cut/shred the beef into small bite sized pieces, strain the soup and reserve carrots, parsnips and celery and cut into chunks and break angel hair pasta into 2-3 inch lengths.
- Bring water in a small sauce pan to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
- When the pasta is cooked, add a little cold water to stop the cooking and place a small mound in the center of a soup bowl.
- Top the pasta with cooked beef and vegetables.
- Finally, ladle the broth around the vegetables and serve piping hot.