Even if you don’t know what Caraway looks or tastes like, you will love this easy, hearty and delicious soup. It is so simple that it is hard not to remember and hard to believe.
All that’s needed is caraway seeds, flour and oil for a bit of roux, and some toasted croutons. Enjoy!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika (optional)
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 1 cup toasted croutons
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Heat oil in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add caraway seeds and toast until the seeds begin to pop, add flour and stir until the flour turns the color of peanut butter, add salt to taste. Remove from heat and stir in the sweet paprika.
- Add 2 cups water and stir with a wire whisk until smooth; bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut 3 slices of baguette to about a 1" thickness, then cut into 4-5 slices and cube.
- Heat olive oil on medium high in a small fry pan, add croutons, a bit of salt, and toss until golden brown. Do not leave the pan as the croutons need to be tossed to make sure they turn brown but not burn.
- Ladle soup into a bowl and serve with toasted croutons.