I modified the original recipe for Char Siu Chicken to make it easier and so that it could be prepared in one pan. I admit that I did use another small saucepan for the sauce, but I think that I saved about 4 or 5 steps and enhanced the flavor of the sauce. I also used free range chicken breasts rather than chicken thighs, which I use quite often. The chicken breasts were tender and juicy, and the sauce was a great dipping sauce with leftovers the next day. This Char Siu sauce recipe competes for my Heavenly Sauce recipe, which I use with Daddy Wu’s Chinese Chicken. Try them both, they are delicious!
- 2 whole free range chicken breasts
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- vegetable spray
Char Siu Marinade and Basting Sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp Mirin
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp roasted sesame seed oil
- 2 cloves grated garlic
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp water
Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
Char Sui Marinade and Basting Sauce
- Combine 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp kosher salt, 1/2 tsp five spice powder, 1/4 tsp white pepper, 1 1/2 tbsp hoisin sauce, 1 tbsp Mirin, 2 tsp soy sauce, 1/2 tsp roasted sesame seed oil, 2 cloves grated garlic, 1 tbsp ketchup in a small sauce pan. Mix with a wire whisk until completely combined.
- Remove bones from 2 whole free range chicken breasts leaving the skin on, and season with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Transfer chicken to a resealable plastic bag and add about 1/2 of the marinade to the bag. Message to completely cover the chicken breasts. Refrigerate for about an hour and up to 3 hours.
- Leave remaining marinade in the small sauce pan, add 2 tbsp water and 1 tbsp honey and heat over medium heat until the marinade comes to a slow simmer and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and reserve until ready to use.
- Pre heat oven to 375 °F
- Remove chicken from the marinade and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Spray a medium skillet with vegetable spray and heat skillet over medium high heat for a minute or two, then add the chicken, skin side down.
- Sear chicken both sides of the chicken for 3-4 minutes per side or until the chicken starts to brown.
- Transfer skillet to pre heated oven and roast for 15 minutes and then baste the chicken with the reseved manrinade. Set timer for another 15 minutes. Chicken will be done when the internal temperature reaches 165℉. If done, baste one more time with the marinade and roast for another 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the oven, place on a board and allow to cool slightly. Slice the chicken breasts ito 1" slices.
- Serve chicken with a side dish of reserved marinade, Basmati or Rizzy Bizzy Rice and the sliced chicken.