Follow the directions and love the results!
- 3 lbs pork shoulder skin on
- 1 whole banana pepper (optional)
- 1 whole plum tomato quartered
- 2 tbsp kosher salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/8 cup water
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Score the skin of the roast diagonally, in both directions to form a diamond pattern.
- Season the roast with kosher salt and garlic powder, place in a roasting pan. Add 1 banana pepper and a plum tomato, quartered. Cover loosely with foil and set aside at room temperature for 3 hours and up to 5 hours before roasting.
- Pre heat oven to 325°
- Add a small quantity of water to the roasting pan, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan but no more than a quarter of an inch deep in the pan. Set on the medium rack and roast for 3 hours or until the top of the roast is a golden brown and the meat can be pierced with a fork.
- Allow the roast to rest for a few minutes, then slice and don't forget to include the cracklin'! Serve with mashed potatoes and apple slaw.