Seared Scallops with Bacon and fried croutons. What’s not to like? Serve these scallops as an appetizer or main course, just adjust the number of scallops per person.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 slices smoked bacon
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup canned corn drained
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 tspn Asian chili sauce (hot)
- 1 juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 6 large 'dry' scallops
- vegetable oil spray for searing scallops
- 1 whole baguette, sliced
- Gather all ingredients before you start the recipe.
Bacon, Bread and Vegetables
- Add the olive oil to a skillet over medium heat.
- Slice bacon into 1/4" slices and add to skillet.
- Once the fat has mostly rendered from the bacon, cut 6 slices of baguette and add bread to skillet and quickly turn to brown both sides, reserve the toasts until serving time.
- Peel onion and chop, core and dice peppers.
- Chop cilantro, slice and juice one lime.
- Add butter to skillet containing bacon and add chopped onions, peppers, corn, cilantro and lime juice. Cook over medium high heat until the onions and peppers begin to soften (but don't over cook as the peppers will lose their color).
- If not serving immediately, remove skillet from heat and keep at room temperature.
- Return skillet with peppers to medium heat while preparing scallops.
- Spray separate large skillet with vegetable spray and heat on high heat.
- Season scallops and place in a pre heated skillet in single layer. Sear each side until scallops turn golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Reheat baguette slices in the skillet with scallops when the scallops have been turned to the 2nd side.
- Spoon pepper mixture in the middle of a plate, top with baguette and top the baguette with one seared scallop.