This Pastry Cream is one of the easiest recipes for pastry cream. Just add vanilla or almond extract and you will be able to use the pastry cream with mutliple desserts. Try it with Whooopie Pies, Mille-Feuille or Napolians. It is delicious.
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 tspn vanilla or almond extract
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Pour milk into medium sized sauce pan and heat over medium low heat until the milk is hot, but not boiling. About 10 minutes.
- Combine egg yolks, sugar, corn starch and flour and beat until the mixture turns a light yellow and thickens. About 3-4 minutes.
- While beating, slowly add 1/4 cup of the hot milk to the egg mixture while beating all the time. Then add the remaining milk, while mixing until all the milk has been completely added. Transfer the mixture back to sauce pan.
- Heat over medium low heat and whisk with a wire whisk constantly until the pastry cream thickens, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover the mixture with cling wrap placed right on the pastry cream and when cool, refrigerate until ready to use.