This caramel sauce is fully intended to be served with the Tangerine Bavarian. The caramel sauce is optional, but it adds contrast in both flavor and eye appeal. It is pretty easy to make, so well worth it.
|Degree of Difficulty|
- 6 whole tangerines zested and juiced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbspn lemon juice
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Remove zest using a potato peeler, excluding pith, and slice into thin slices (julienne).
- Juice tangerines and set aside.
- Combine sugar, water, bay leaves and zest in small sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved and turns amber, about 7-8 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and carefully add tangerine juice, the mixture will bubble and steam vigorously), stir until the caramel has dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice, a pinch of salt, and remove from heat, remove zest and bay leaves and allow to cool.