Yogurt and Orange Semifreddo with Black Cherries and Amaretti Cookies, the taste is fabulous, fresh and ‘orangey’ and it is definitely my kind of dessert. No baking, frosting and very little measuring!
|Degree of Difficulty|
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp grated orange rind
- 1 pod vanilla seeds scraped or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 5-6 cookies amaretti crumbled, plus 2 to crumble on top
- 2 egg whites
- 1 16 oz can black cherries in heavy syrup
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Line individual ramekins with cling wrap leaving enough to cover the top.
- Grate rind of a half of an orange.
- Add cream, sugar, grated orange rind, lime juice and vanilla beans or extract into a mixing bowl and beat until firm but not fluffy.
- Crumble 4-5 amaretti cookies and combine with yogurt.
- Fold yogurt and crumbled cookies into cream mixture.
- Beat egg whites until they form a stiff peak.
- Fold beaten egg whites into cream mixture.
- Chop cherries in to pieces.
- Spoon cream mixture into cling wrap lined ramekins to come halfway, then add a layer of cherry bits and finally fill the ramekin to the top, reserve remaining cherries and syrup.
- Smooth the top of the ramekins, fold cling wrap over the top and freeze overnight.
- Two hours before serving, move the ramekins from the freezer and move to the refrigerator.
- Remove ramekins from refrigerator, peel back cling wrap from the top and place a plate over the ramekin. Invert the ramekin onto the plate and peel off the balance of the cling wrap from the semifreddo.
- Top with reserved cherries and drizzle with heavy syrup.