This Broccoli Mash recipe is a nod to my British friends. It’s one of those comfort thing foods that men seem to love and I have to think that the original came from left over potato and veg from Sunday Lunch. It’s yummy, definitely comfort food and will go with just about anything. Start from scratch or use your left over veg to create this great ‘renewed’ side dish.
- 10-12 baby white potatoes skin left on and quartered
- 3-4 florets of broccoli including stems
- 2 of frozen peas
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper freshly ground to taste
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe.
- Quarter new potatoes and cube the stems of the broccoli.
- Add broccoli and potatoes to a deep sauce pan and add water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes and broccoli stems are firm tender.
- Slice broccoli florets into quarters and add to potatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 2-3 hands full of frozen peas and bring to a boil.
- Drain and then return to sauce pan, add butter and mash with a potato masher.