It’s still spring and Chicken and Spring Vegetables make a perfect week night meal. It’s easy to make, perfect for one or two or more portions, and it sure is satisfying and delicious.
- 2 chicken legs bone in skin on cut into 2
- vegetable spray
- 6 spring onions trimmed
- 1/2 fennel bulb cut in two
- 1 lemon halved
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Gather all ingredients before starting the recipe.
- Season chicken pieces and set aside for up to an hour before cooking
- Pre heat oven to 375°F
- Spray a medium sized non-stick skillet with vegetable spray and heat over medium high heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces, skin side down, and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the chicken is a golden brown.
- Turn the chicken pieces, reduce heat to medium and cook for another 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown or until the internal temperature is 165°F.
- When you start cooking the chicken, line a sheet pan with non-stick aluminum foil and add the fennel wedges and the remaining half lemon cut in two. Drizzle vegetables with marinade, season with kosher salt and black pepper and add 1/4 cup water.
- Cover fennel with a sheet of aluminum foil and place in a pre heated 375°F oven. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the fennel is soft when pierced with a fork.
- When done, remove aluminum foil and add whole spring onions, increase heat to 400°F and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Transfer frozen peas to a microwave safe dish, cover with cling wrap and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, or until the peas are hot and tender.
- Place peas in the center of a serving plate. Add roasted fennel wedge to one side. Top peas with chicken pieces and top chicken with roasted spring onions.
- This is optional, but you can add 1/3 cup of white wine to the chicken pan juices and cook over medium high until the wine has reduced by half, then pour the pan sauce over the chicken and peas.