This Chocolate Cassis Torte is a flourless torte. It is very ‘chocolaty’ and is almost like a pudding. The berries make the presentation and add a bit of tartness to offset the sweet, rich chocolate.
|Degree of Difficulty|
For the cake
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 12 tbspn unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 10 oz semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tbspn cassis
- 1 tspn vanilla extract
- 5 large whole eggs separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tspn kosher salt
For the glaze
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1/4 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 3 tbspn cassis
- 1/2 tspn vanilla extract
For the fruit
- 2 boxes fresh raspberries
- 1 box fresh strawberries washed, hulled and thickly sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cassis
- Gather all ingredients before you start the recipe.
Up to 2 days before serving
- Pre heat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 9" round cake pan with a removable bottom with vegetable spray and dust with cocoa powder.
- Chop chocolate into coarse pieces. Place chocolate and butter in a microwave proof dish and heat on high for 30 seconds, stir and heat for another 30 seconds, set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the egg yolks and sugar and salt with a hand mixer at high speed for 3 - 5 minutes, or until the egg mixture has tripled in volume and is a pale yellow. Add the cocoa powder and mix well to combine.
- Pour the cooled butter and chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and mix on low speed until completely blended.
- In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until they form soft peaks, add the chocolate mixture and blend on low speed until fully combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 35 - 40 minutes, or until just barely set in the middle.
- Allow the torte to cool for at least 30 minutes then cover the cooled torte in its pan with aluminum foil and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
Day of serving
- Remove stems/hulls from strawberries and slice into thick slices.
- Combine sliced strawberries with raspberries in a bowl and sprinkle with 1/3 cup sugar.
- Chop the chocolate in coarse pieces and place chocolate and 1/3 cup of heavy cream in a microwave proof dish. Heat on high for 30 seconds, remove, stir, and heat for another 30 seconds.
- Stir chocolate mixture until smooth and add vanilla and cassis, stir to combine. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Remove aluminum foil from refrigerated torte pan and using a sharp knife, cut around the inside edge of pan all the way around.
- Remove ring from cake pan and transfer torte onto a serving platter.
- Pour chocolate glaze over the top of the refrigerated torte, smoothing the top and allowing the glaze to drip over the sides. Cool in refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight before serving.
- Combine berries with 1/3 cup of cassis up to 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve a slice of the torte with a portion of berries on the side.