I have tried various versions of Garlic Shrimp Scampi over the years but could never really get that restaurant quality garlic sauce just right. I found the ingredients a while ago but somehow the sauce was still not right. Then it came to me, the ingredients were good, but the technique had to change. Eureka, this is it, this recipe is perfect!
- 1/2 medium Spanish onion peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 5 10-15 count uncooked shrimp per person
- 3-4 sprigs fresh parsley sprigs chopped
- Gather all ingredients before starting recipe
- Peel onion and roughly chop into pieces. Peel 3 cloves of garlic and roughly chop.
- Peel and de-vein uncooked shrimp
- Transfer garlic, onion, olive oil, salt and freshly ground black pepper to a food processor. Pulse until combined and the puree the mixture.
- Combine the shrimp and the garlic, onion, oil mixture in a plastic resalable bag or a glass mixing bowl and marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Remove the shrimp from marinade, and pour marinade into the pre heated skillet. Add chopped parsley and saute the mixture for 5-6 minutes, or until the mixture starts getting fragrant. You don't want to brown the mixture but instead sauté until the raw flavor is cooked out.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes on one side, or until the shrimp starts to turn pink then turn over and cook for another minute or so, or until both sides are pink.
- Serve with fresh white basmati rice. Spoon pan juices over shrimp and rice.