This Orange Almond Cake is wonderful light cake, perfect with your morning coffee on a special day, or served as a dessert after dinner when drizzled with Orange Caramel Sauce.
- unsalted butter for greasing baking pan
- 4 large eggs separated at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 orange zested
- 2 tbsp almond or white milk
- 1/4 tspn almond extract
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp powder sugar
- 1/2 tspn cinnamon
- 1/2 tspn ground ginger
- 1 recipe Orange Caramel Sauce
- Gather all ingredients before starting the recipe.
- Pre heat over to 350°F
- Lightly grease sides and bottom of a 8" spring form pan. Line the bottom of the pan with a circle of parchment paper the same size as the bottom of the pan.
- Add egg yolks and sugar to a medium sized mixing bowl or a stand mixer bowl and beat the eggs and sugar until the mixture is a pale yellow color, about 3 minutes.
- Add orange zest, salt, milk and almond extract and beat until incorporated.
- Remove bowl and mix in almond flour using a wooden spoon or spatula,
- In a separate bowl, add egg whites and beat a medium speed until the whites are stiff and form a peak.
- Mix 1/3 of the whipped eggs whites into the cake batter, and fold until fully incorporated,
- Add the remaining egg whites and fold until just combined.
- Add cake mixture to prepared spring form pan and smooth top with an offset spatula. Sprinkle liberally with sliced almonds.
- Bake in a pre heated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and place on a rack to cool.
- When cool, release cake from sides of pan with a knife, then release the sides of the pan.
- Remove the cake from the bottom of the pan and gently remove the parchment paper from the bottom of the cake,
- Transfer cake to a serving platter.
- Mix powdered sugar, cinnamon and ginger in a small bowl and mix to combine,
- Transfer sugar mixture to a fine sieve and sprinkle the cake with the mixture,